Join us on Saturday, December 1 as we celebrate accessibility at the Vancouver Aquarium.
One of our main goals at the Aquarium is to allow visitors to experience and enjoy the wonders of aquatic life to their fullest potential. As part of our commitment to inclusion, we regularly provide a number of services for guests with disabilities, but on December 1, we will celebrate accessibility with the following additions:
- American Sign Language interpreters will be at all of our marine mammal and dive shows, including one of our holiday favourites, Scuba Claus.
- The Wet Lab will be open every hour so guests can experience our aquatic world through touch
- Volunteers will be available upon request to assist visitors who are blind or have low vision for a more descriptive tour of the galleries
- Extra volunteers will be on site to interact with guests and showcase a variety of props in the galleries
In addition, we have partnered with BC Field Trips and the Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS) to offer PADS puppies-in-training a unique opportunity to socialize. From Friday November 30 to Sunday December 2, PADS puppies-in-training will be admitted in our galleries, along with their volunteer-raiser and one friend for free.
As part of our ongoing commitment to accessibility, guests can benefit from the following services every day:
- Accessibility window at admissions, and accessibility rates on daily passes
- Use of our wheelchairs and strollers
- Designated wheelchair-viewing spots on Canada’s Arctic Deck for beluga shows, on the Wild Coast deck for the dolphin shows and at Penguin Point for our penguin talks
- Open captioning on most of our videos, and more
Our winter feature, Luminescence, will be on during this time, and visitors are invited to enjoy the beautiful spectacles of aquatic light. We are also showing the ever-popular The Polar Express 4-D Experience in the 4-D Goldcorp Theatre that includes wheelchair access entry, four wheelchair spots and printed scripts of the 4-D show upon request.
For more information, please contact our visitor experience team at 604-659-3400 or email@example.com.