You see it along the shorelines of your local rivers, lakes, beaches…harmful, unseemly litter. Now is the perfect opportunity for you to do something about it, because the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup begins this weekend.
The Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, presented by Loblaw Companies Limited and a joint conservation initiative of Vancouver Aquarium and WWF, is the largest direct-action conservation program in Canada. It’s also Canada’s largest contributor to Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup, which takes place around the same time.
Twelve percent of Canada’s surface is covered by water in the form of lakes, rivers and streams, and Canada’s coastline ‒ all 243,000 kilometres of it ‒ form the longest coastline in the world. Be part of the change you wish you see, and put some motion behind the mouth! This fall’s Shoreline Cleanup takes place from Sept. 21-29, but it’s still not too late to join an existing cleanup in your community – simply visit ShorelineCleanup.ca. It’s that easy.
To celebrate our 20th anniversary this year, we’ve also designated “20-in-20” cleanups this year that will be making a special effort to celebrate Shoreline Cleanup’s 20th year. If you are fortunate enough to live in one of these communities, we encourage you to join us:
- Iona Beach Park in Richmond, B.C. (Vancouver)*
- Coronation Park in Oakville, O.N.
- Ottawa River, Parliament Hill shoreline in Ottawa, O.N.*
- Rotary Waterfront Park, Prince Rupert, B.C.
- Middle McIntyre Creek, Whitehorse, Y.T.
- Naujaat Shoreline, Repulse Bay, N.U.
- Maritime Heritage Centre, Campbell River, B.C.
- Petty Harbour – Maddax Cove, St. John’s, N.L.
- Tea Hill Park, Stratford, P.E.I.
- Parc de la Riviere Mitis, Grand-Métis, Q.C.
- Hamilton Waterfront Trail, Hamilton, O.N.
- Goderich Waterfront on Lake Huron and Maitland River, Goderich, O.N.
- Assiniboine Park & Zoo, Winnipeg, M.B.
- Regent Park, Regina, S.K.
- Louise McKinney Park, Edmonton, A.B.
- Okanagan Lake at City Park, Kelowna, B.C.
- Ucluelet Harbour North, Ucluelet, B.C.
- Point Pleasant Park, Halifax, N.S.*
- Auditorium de Verdun, Montreal/Verdun, Q.C.*
- Woodbine Beach Park, Toronto, O.N.*
* Also indicates a Shoreline Cleanup kick-off event.
We are still seeking volunteers, so visit ShorelineCleanup.ca, where you can search for a cleanup near you.