There are hundreds of them, brandishing their weapons as they hoist their flag and begin marching in the same direction. Although sweat drips from their faces, they hardly notice as they all proceed towards the same goal – to save the oceans from destruction.
This may sound like a typical wartime film, but the reality is that this scene depicts a movement that is actually taking place. As the graphic in the feature photo suggests, the “hundreds” refer to those who have joined an important movement – a movement to save our oceans (and not just the oceans, but also rivers, lakes, bays, etc.) as partners of Ocean Wise, Vancouver Aquarium’s national sustainable seafood initiative.
Some of these partners will be joining the movement this November by participating in the 2013 Vancouver Aquarium Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown in Calgary (Nov. 18), Toronto (Nov. 19) and Vancouver (Nov. 20). Yes, they will be brandishing their “weapons” – if you consider ladles, wooden spoons, and large pots to fit the bill. And yes, they will likely be dripping (metaphorical) sweat; after all, it’s stiff competition as top Ocean Wise chefs in each city (ranging from 12-14 per city) vie for the title of Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion with their original, sustainable seafood chowders (each of which will be paired with beer).
These chefs are supporting the sustainable seafood movement by competing, as proceeds from the Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown will directly benefit Ocean Wise and its efforts to raise awareness around the issues surrounding sustainable seafood.
You too can join the movement by taking part in Chowder Chowdown, sampling all of the chowders (and beer pairings) and casting your vote for the People’s Choice Award. Supporting sustainable seafood has never tasted better!
Tickets and event details are available at vanaqua.org/chowdown. Tickets are $50 each – get yours early to avoid disappointment, as they typically go quickly.
Also, below you can view the impressive line-up of Ocean Wise chefs who will be competing this year in all three cities. This is one event you won’t want to miss.
Calgary Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Ron Jacobson | Bistro Rouge
- Chef Chris Dewling | Blink Restaurant
- Chef Kyle Groves | Catch Restaurant & Oyster Bar at the Hyatt Regency
- Chef Paul McGreevy |CRAFT Beer Market
- Chef Darren MacLean | Downtownfood
- Chef Justin Leboe | Model Milk
- Chef Andrew Keen | Redwater Rustic Grille
- Chef Andrew Winfield | River Café
- Chef Dustin Schafer | Sky 360
- Chef Paul Peddle | The Rimrock at the Fairmont Palliser
- Chef Rebecca House | Thomsons Restaurant at the Hyatt Regency
Toronto Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Michael Wilson | Luma
- Chef Charlotte Langley | Catch Seafood Restaurant
- Chef Stuart Cameron | Starfish Oyster Bed and Grill
- Chef Leanne English | Sodexo Canada
- Chef Doug Neigel | Trattoria Mercatto
- Chef Koichi Fujioka | Hapa Izakaya
- Chef Maxine Knight | The Healthy Butcher
- Chef Sonia Potichnyj | John & Sons Oyster House
- Chef Travis Cropley | Pure Spirits Oyster House
- Chef Felipe Faccioli | Fishbar
- Chef Siobhan Dolan | The Sweet Potato
- Chef Thomas Heitz | Port
- Chef Joshua Dyer | EPIC, Fairmont Royal York
- Chef Ibrahim Tams, Earls Kitchen and Bar King Street
Vancouver Ocean Wise Chef Finalists
- Chef Chris Whittaker | Forage at the Listel Hotel (Defending Champion)
- Chef Ned Bell | YEW Restaurant + Bar at the Four Seasons
- Chef Aleks Kornat | Manhattan Restaurant at Delta Vancouver Suites
- Chef Michael Lackner | Sodexo Canada
- Chef Joanna Astudillo | Vancouver Aquarium Catering & Events
- Chef Eric Pateman | Edible Canada
- Chef Nicolas Hipperson | C Restaurant
- Chef Dana Hauser | Herons West Coast Kitchen at Fairmont Waterfront
- Chef Hiro Amano | COAST Restaurant
- Chef Kevin Benes | Savoury Chef Foods Catering Company
- Chef Benjamin Curtis | The August Jack
- Chef Paul Cecconi | Brodo Kitchen & Catering with CodFathers Seafood Market
- Chef Tim Evans | The Cascade Room