Join us on Saturday, December 6, as we celebrate accessibility at the Vancouver Aquarium. One of our goals at the Aquarium is to allow visitors to experience and enjoy the wonders of aquatic life to their fullest potential. As part of our commitment to inclusion, we regularly provide a number of services for guests with disabilities, but on December 6, we will celebrate accessibility with the following additions:
- Douglas College ASL student interpreters will be at all of our marine mammal and dive shows to provide sign language services for the hearing impaired.
- The Wet Lab will be open all day so that guests can experience our aquatic world through touch, getting hands on with sea stars, anemones and other marine life.
- Extra volunteers will be onsite to interact with our guests and showcase a variety of props in the galleries.
- Pre-book your descriptive tour to discover the aquatic world through touch, smell and hearing. With the assistance of tactile props and sounds, our accessibility volunteer ambassadors will bring our Aquarium stories to life for vision impaired tour participants.
- The CAN Van Interactive Autism Exhibit will be onsite at the Bill Reid plaza from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. The CAN Van, as part of the Canucks Autism Network, encourages inclusive and supportive communities for those living with autism and is welcoming to all ages.
“Accessibility day is my favourite event to volunteer for because I feel like I can use my knowledge and my skills to open doors for people,” said Jo Smith, Vancouver Aquarium volunteer. “The Aquarium is a wonderful place that I am very passionate about and being able to help people experience it to the fullest is very rewarding for me, especially when I see someone engaging in a way that might have not been possible without our support.”
As part of our commitment to accessibility, guests can take advantage of the following services everyday:
- Accessibility window at admissions and accessibility rates on daily passes
- Use of our wheelchairs and strollers
- Wheelchair accessible washrooms
- Designated wheelchair-viewing spots on Canada’s Arctic Deck for beluga shows, the Wild Coast deck for dolphin shows, and at Penguin Point for our penguin talks.
- Open captioning on most of our videos
Access Day is open to all visitors of the Vancouver Aquarium during regular hours from
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is included in the regular price of admission. Guests can enjoy our Holiday programming which includes the Polar Express 4-D experience, stories with Scuba elves and the daily Scuba Claus dive show.