The gloomy weather did not dampen the spirits of those gathered at Toronto’s Fairmont Royal York on Friday, Dec. 5 where the food service and hospitality industry’s best and brightest gathered to celebrate each other’s achievements over the course of the year. Since its introduction in 1988, the Pinnacle Awards have recognized the full spectrum of achievements in the hospitality industry.
This celebration honoured president and founder Mitch Kostuch who passed away suddenly this past October. It was the first Pinnacle Awards ceremony without
Mr. Kostuch. His presence was felt throughout the afternoon and all who knew him spoke highly of this kind and generous man.
In its 26th year, the ceremony was moderated by Master of Ceremonies Rosanna Caira, editor and publisher of Kostuch Media Ltd, and Michael Bonacini, partner of Oliver & Bonacini restaurant group.
Several of Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise partners were awarded top honours at the event. Ned Bell, executive chef at Yew seafood + bar at the Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, took home the award for Chef of the Year – a brilliant acknowledgment of a chef whose advocacy against overfishing and for sustainable seafood has taken him across the country in support of healthy lakes, rivers and oceans.
Company of the Year Western Canada was presented to the Cactus Club Café. A founding member of the Ocean Wise program, they were praised for their desire for continuous improvement, active social responsibility and their dedication to sustainability and quality ingredients.
High Liner Foods Inc. was awarded the Pinnacle Award for Supplier of the Year. This past February, High Liner reported that they had reached their sustainablility goal, with 99 per cent of all seafood now being sourced from certified sustainable or responsible fisheries.
Ocean Wise is privileged to partner with these inspiring organizations and individuals. It is a great honour to call them ambassadors and have the opportunity to help them achieve their personal goals surrounding ocean conservation and sustainability.
Congratulations to all of the winners of this year’s Pinnacle Awards!
2014 Food & Hospitality Pinnacle Award Winners:
- Company of the Year Western Canada: Cactus Club Cafe, Vancouver
- Company of the Year Eastern Canada: King St. Food Company, Toronto
- Independent Restaurant Group: The Chase Hospitality Group, Toronto
- Chef of the Year: Ned Bell, Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver
- Supplier of the Year: High Liner Foods Inc., Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
2014 Hotelier Pinnacle Award Winners:
- Company of the Year, National: Choice Hotels Canada, Inc., Mississauga
- Company of the Year, Regional: Airline Hotels, Saskatoon
- Hotelier of the Year: Zita Cobb, Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland
- Hotelier: Supplier of the Year: Starbucks Coffee Company, Toronto
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Isadore Sharp, Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts